Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Tasty Tuesday - What's in my Crockpot.

I knew when waking up this morning to a rainy day, all I would want to do after work is come home and lay on the couch. Which is why I'm SO glad I was given a crock pot for my birthday last year. I found this recipe on Pinterest (imagine that) and am really excited to try it tonight! I do not, however, know where it gets its name.


4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 tablespoons butter or olive oil
1/4 cup ketchup
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 onion, diced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1 cup low-sodium beef broth

In a large skillet, heat the butter/olive oil. Season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper and cook them for 1-2 minutes on each side, until nicely browned but not cooked all the way through. (After reading her readers comments, it was clear that I could skip this step. Because I surely was not about to do this at 7am.) Remove the chicken to the slow cooker. In a large bowl, combine all the other ingredients. Whisk well. Pour the sauce over the chicken. Cover the crockpot and cook on low for 6 hours. Serve with rice or noodles.


Serving with.....

*Makes about 3 1/2 cups cooked rice

1 1/2 cups brown rice
2 1/2 cups low-sodium chicken broth or water (if using water, add 1 teaspoon salt)

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8X8-inch or 9X9-inch baking pan. Place the rice in the prepared pan and pour in the liquid. Stir to equally distribute the rice. Cover tightly with a double layer of aluminum foil and bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and let sit for five minutes before removing the aluminum foil and fluffing with a fork. If your rice still has a bit of liquid on the bottom or conversely, if it is dried out, adjust the baking time up or down to make changes.
Variations:

Before baking, slice one small yellow onion into dices or half moons and caramelize and brown in 1 teaspoon of olive oil until golden and soft (about 10 minutes in a nonstick skillet). Stir onion into rice and broth mixture and bake according to recipe.
After removing rice from the oven and letting it sit for five minutes, remove aluminum foil and stir in the zest and juice from 1 lemon, 1/2 cup grated fresh Parmesan cheese, 1 tablespoon sugar and 1/2 apple, finely diced.

15 comments :

  1. I LOVE my crock pot! Look up the site A Year of Slow Cooking for some AMAZING recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just told my boyfriend the other day that I wish I had a crock pot! Sounds like such a great recipe!

    aHb

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really need to start taking advantage of my crock pot. You totally are the inspiration for my dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This recipe looks perfect!

    I'm on the hunt for something to warm me up for lunch today - it's so gross out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. mmm, YUM! the crockpot makes things so easy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like quick and easy chicken bog! YUMMMYYYY!! I wish everyone could be cooked in a crock-pot. Definitely going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ok do you want to know something funny we got a great All Clad crock pot for a wedding gift almost 4 years ago and I have never used it once!! I really need to bust it out. That meal looks perfect for this dreary day. Matt just emailed me and said he wanted hamburger helper for dinner- such a typical man.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You just reminded me I haven't used my crockpot since last winter. I need to pull it out again!! Loooks yummy princess!

    ReplyDelete
  9. yuuuum! i need to use my crackpot more often! xoxo jillian:: cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  10. this rainy weather had me thinking the same thing! Let me know how it is!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you have the best cooking adjectives!!


    i've decided i don't much to contribute to food posts. i'm pretty sure everyone knows it's a lie if i say i'm going to try it. however, you would think my taste buds would motivate me b/c this looks so yum! i love rice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I used my Crock-Pot today too, but I made a pot roast in mine.

    Your recipe looks yummy-I will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds good--you'll have to tell us how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. yum! this looks awesome! i remember reading that recipe a while back. i know i am so weird, but i never use my crock pot! i am super paranoid about leaving it on all day while i am gone.

    ReplyDelete