Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Tasty Tuesday: Spicy Sausage Pasta.

If you're looking for a fast, flavorful, one pot meal. Try this. I was at the gym until 7pm so I knew I wanted to make something that could come together in a hurry. It has a slight kick to it, too, because of the Ro-Tel. If you don't like spicy food, I would just use a can of diced tomatoes.  And, it made enough for myself, Cameron and my sister, with leftovers. Enjoy!


Spicy Sausage Pasta
Recipe and photo found here.

1 tbsp olive oil
1 lb smoked sausage
1.5 cups diced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 (10 oz) can Ro-Tel tomatoes and green chiles, Mild
1/2 cup heavy cream
8 oz penne pasta
1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper, each
1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
1/3 cup thinly sliced scallions

Add olive oil to an oven-safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Add sausage and onions and cook until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.

Add broth, tomatoes, cream, pasta, salt and pepper and stir. Bring to a boil, cover skillet, and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until pasta is tender, about 15 minutes.

Remove skillet from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese. Top with remaining cheese and sprinkle with scallions. Broil until cheese is melted, spotty brown, and bubbly.

4 comments :

  1. Yum!! I bet you could also use the chicken sausage from Trader Joe's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicous! It wont let me comment on your honeymoon post but we JUST booked ours to Couples San Souci in Jamaica! I booked it through a travel agent in Camden SC and would HIGHLY recommend her! Let me know if you want her info! I am soooooo excited!

    ReplyDelete