Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup + Weekly Dinner Menu.




It was in the 20's last night and I know that I shouldn't be complaining because a lot of y'all are facing negative temperatures right now. But that is not ok for Charleston. This type of weather demands hot soup, fuzzy socks, and a roaring fire. Try this one tonight! 


Italian Sausage Tortellini Soup
Recipe and photo from Two Peas and Their Pod

1 lb. Italian Sausage, rolled into 1/4 teaspoon size balls
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 red bell peppers, diced
1 bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon red pepper flakes
8 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 (15 ounce) cans diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups chopped kale
2 cups cheese tortellini (fresh or frozen)
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
Salt and black pepper, to taste

In a large skillet, brown the mini sausage balls until cooked through. This will take about 5-7 minutes. Drain off the grease and place the sausage balls on a plate lined with paper towels.

In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the onion and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 2 minutes. Stir in the red peppers, bay leaf, and red pepper flakes. Cook until peppers are soft, about 3 minutes.

Stir in the broth, tomatoes, and kale. Add the cheese tortellini and cook until tortellini is tender, 7-8 minutes. Stir in the fresh basil and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Stir in the mini sausage balls and heat until warm. Remove the bay leaf and serve.
-----------------------------------
Here's what's on our dinner menu this week..
Monday - Chicken enchiladas with rice
Wednesday - Sundried tomato and feta turkey meatloaf with mashed potatoes
Thursday - Trader Joe's Greek chicken with orzo
 Friday Angel Oak with the supper club for Restaurant Week!
Saturday - Grilling steaks with the parents
Sunday - Trader Joe's chicken fettuccine alfredo

post signature

18 comments :

  1. I have a sausage tortellini soup on deck for this month, too -- I'm so excited to try it! And my husband makes so much fun of me - I get so excited about meal planning, but it's so much easier!
    - Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  2. That soup looks yummy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! looks so tasty, perfect for cold nights. xo jillian - cornflake dreams

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've gotta try that meatloaf. I always hated it growing up but adding feta and sundried tomatoes makes it actually sound good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh... let us know how that TJ's greek chicken goes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is freezing here in Pittsburgh, that soup looks amazing, and perfect for a cold night like tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I need to try that meatloaf!!! It sounds amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is the perfect comfort food right there - meat and pasta :) Love seeing your menus!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you love soup more than anyone i know. love it. i saw this greek chicken orzo soup at publix the other day and almost sent you a pic. i wonder if it's any good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, that looks delicious! Will have to try!!

    xo,
    Heather

    http://reverieno17.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, that tortellini soup looks so good! I'll have to make that one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I wish I had tried this the other night! I used some Italian sausage and tortellini in a Crockpot recipe found on Pinterest. Just ok.

    ReplyDelete
  13. your meal list puts my week to shame #singlepeopleproblems #passthetvdinner

    ReplyDelete
  14. We just had soup for dinner too, but it wasn't nearly as yummy as that tortellini & sausage soup looks. Gonna have to try that one and I've never seen the TJ's Greek Chicken. Is it in the frozen section?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Too funny..I am posting a recipe for a tortellini soup with sausage tomorrow, too! Mine has a creamy tomato base, though! Yours is probably a great lighter version!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for posting the soup recipe- I made it last night and it was fantastic! The change I made was to use corn and zucchini instead of bell peppers and kale since I didn't have those on hand. LOVED IT!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm going to have to try this recipe! We love that TJ's entree!

    ReplyDelete